Friday, December 08, 2006

Running Man

I am passing along the following at the request of good friend and State Comptroller Dan Hynes. (I will briefly add that among the many qualities that I admire about Sen. Obama is that, despite the unimaginable amount of attention and adulation that has been lavished upon him, he is as solid and genuine now as he was when we served together in the General Assembly. No small feat. He is indeed a unique man in unique times that demand a unique man.)

Dear Friends,

I would like to first thank you again for your support in securing my re-election as Illinois State Comptroller. Because of your help, I will continue fighting for working families, life saving medical research and real ethics reforms in Illinois. I am excited and invigorated for another term as your State Comptroller. However, the reason for my letter today is to ask for your help in what seemed like a very unlikely scenario 2 ½ years ago.

Many of you probably remember that I ran for the U.S. Senate against Barack Obama in the 2004 Democratic Primary, along with several other candidates. While we both ran spirited campaigns, Barack's message of hope and change in Washington captivated voters across Illinois. While I was disappointed in our second-place finish, I quickly realized that Barack had the capability of offering our country something more.

As Barack's opponent in 2004, I had a unique perspective to observe Barack emerge from a State Senator from Chicago into what can best be described as a national phenomenon. Throughout our 2004 campaign, I was able to witness firsthand how people from all walks of life were drawn to Barack and his message. Like many other Americans, I witnessed the culmination of Barack's emergence at the 2004 Democratic National Convention, when his keynote address captured the sense of hope and optimism that people across the country have long been yearning for.

Since he was elected to the Senate, Barack has proven himself as someone who tackles difficult issues, successfully works in a bipartisan fashion, and isn't afraid to articulate his true convictions. The real belief that Barack could serve our country well as President was never more evident than during his trip to Africa this past summer. The images of thousands of people flooding the streets in adoration of the Illinois Senator made me realize that not only can we count on Barack on the domestic front, but he can restore the United States' image around the globe.

It was for these and other reasons why I decided to write Senator Obama in September and urge him to run for the President of the United States.

On the eve of his first trip to the state of New Hampshire, I encourage you to join me and other Americans in demonstrating to Senator Obama how much support he enjoys in Illinois. Please go to www.runobama.com and sign the petition urging Senator Obama to run for President of the United States. You can help the folks at runobama.com achieve their goal of 10,000 signatures to present to Senator Obama this Sunday when he arrives in New Hampshire. Together, we can ensure that we have the best candidate in 2008 who will be able to bring positive change for all Americans.

Thank you and God bless you and your family during this holiday season.

Sincerely,

Daniel W. Hynes
Illinois State Comptroller

To read, or post, comments, visit Open House

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP