Monday, May 08, 2006

Two Views of Springfield

This morning I was reading a letter to the editor in the (Elgin) Daily Courier-News. It was from a Harriet Grifford Elementary School parent volunteer. Here’s some of it:

"…fourth-graders recently went on a wonderfully educational and inspiring trip to Springfield. It was a trip that potentially could have inspired members of this highly diverse group of your people to see the value of involvement in our community, our government and our political system…"
Then, I read Dennis Byrne’s column in the Chicago Tribune. Here’s part:
"Speaking of idiots, Illinois legislators obviously want us to believe that they’re doing their job (governing) when they pass a $56 billions (“rough” estimate) budget a mere two or three days after they first see it. It was handed to them by a legislative oligarghy that has run Illinois government for years, effectively reducing remaining lawmakers to mopes."
Any comments?

For other views of the Capitol, click here. Thanks to Capitol Fax Blog for introducing me to this historical look at the State Capitol.

Originally posted at McHenry County Blog, which notes today that the Tribune found a better rowing regatta site for the 2016 Olympics than Crystal Lake.

4 comments:

Anonymous,  2:40 PM  

I work in Springfield and I tend to be more of an idiot. Wait. What was the question?

Skeeter 3:33 PM  

I'm glad to see at least one person has read Dennis Byrne's work. I thought I was the only one, and I only read it for the unintentional humor in his work. He writes like a cranky old man. I always expect his columns to end with "And for the 15th time -- You kids stay off my lawn!"

Anonymous,  9:06 PM  

There is a legislative oligarchy but at least in the Senate it changes every 10 years or so.

The rest of the reps are mopes.

Us regular taxpaying voters do get the short end of the stick.

But nobody cares

Anonymous,  3:16 PM  

Cal, you need to find full time work.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP