Tuesday, May 23, 2006

He don't bring us flowers

This past weekend I traveled with friends to tour Springfield sites like the Dana-Thomas House, the Lincoln Museum, Lincoln's Home, and Lincoln's Tomb.

The weather was beautiful; my friends were fun; the Lincoln sites were compelling, sobering, and pride-instilling; and for the first time ever I realized an appreciation for Gov. Thompson, who played a large part in seeing Frank Lloyd Wright furniture returned to their proper home (D-T House).

But my well-meaning friend Diane (from Indiana) thought it would be nice to spend Saturday night at the Mansion View Inn, directly across the street from the Governor's Mansion, which gave me plenty of reasons to fume.

First, this beautiful, historic mansion was deserted. No cars. No lights at night. Shades drawn.

Second, the People of Illinois are only allowed to visit this home we pay for a total of 7.5 sporadically spaced hours out of a 168-hour week.

Finally, from our side of the street, the place looked like unkempt, overgrown, junkyard jungle. And there were no potted flowers anywhere.

I kept thinking of the White House and the respect it commands by its very presence. On a smaller scale, we have such a House in Illinois. But alas.

There are many reasons to be angry with our governor. Now add to the list his lack of respect for history and decorum, which disgusts me.






P.S. I picked up a book of Lincoln quotes, and this one struck me as witty and timeless: "The fact is... I have got more pigs than I have teats." ~ Remark on political patronage to Congressman Luther Hanchett, no date.

13 comments:

Bill Baar 7:36 AM  

They can get Windy City Maintenance to pick up a bit.

Tony 9:43 AM  

Looks nice to me.

Cal Skinner 10:22 AM  

So you stayed at the motel that I heard used to be owned by Paul Powell.

I was told he "encouraged" Secretary of State employees to stay there when they visited Springfield.

Did you visit the Old Capitol Art Fair?

steve schnorf 10:26 AM  

Isn't there construction going on on the west side of the mansion grounds? If so, that would probably explain much of the "junk".

Anonymous,  11:22 AM  

Get ready if he gets elected when he leaves office the whole state will look like that

Bill Baar 11:54 AM  

Blago is a tool

Tool of who?

Anonymous,  2:31 PM  

Did that turn you on, Bill?

Bill Baar 3:24 PM  

...anon 2:31...give me the religous right anytime.

Anonymous,  5:16 PM  

OK, here on the facts on the Mansion and the grounds. I attend Central Baptist Church across the street from the Mansion. The "unkept" look of the grass is because it is an asian variety which when gets longer this Spring, forms a fountian look and flows over the curbs. Looks really neat. The other issues about the grounds are also a non issue which you don't know what you are talking about. Each area of the grounds is made up of native Illinois woodland plants. They let it grow up and when it gets to be about July, the grounds looks like a wall of green. The mansion is not ran by the state but by a foundation who sets the hours. But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of your anti-Rod bash. How about you know something about an issue before making statments.

Bill Baar 5:27 PM  

anon 5:16

It would be a non issue if he lived there.

Anonymous,  9:40 PM  

I don't mind the wild, natural look of the Mansion grounds. Using native plants should hold down water and fertilzer costs, saving the taxpayers a few dollars in the process. A subdivision named Tall Grass Preserve. What a joke. I bet it was originally farmland bulldozed to make way for another cookie cutter, large lot subdivision, with a few acres devoted to open space. I live in Springfield and could care less that the Governor is an absentee landlord. I do agree that the Mansion should be made available for more civic events. Let the public in.

Anonymous,  9:02 AM  

Steve, that's not construction material genius.

Nice try though.

Anonymous,  10:02 AM  

Indeed. I live in a subdivision called Broken Arrow Creek Hunters Woods Preserve, and am, as such, an expert in native American artifacts, small, swiftly moving bodies of water, gunsports, and the preservation of these cultures. (and it's a chance for me to brag that I live in a subdivision with half-million dollar to million-dollar homes!!)

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP