Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial Day in Illinois


Crossposted on Marathon Pundit.

I took this photograph about two hours ago while in front of the Morton Grove Public Library, I used my Treo 650.

The statue was erected in 1920 to honor the local soldiers who served our country in the Great War.

And in the spirit of the National Review listing of the 50 Greatest Conservative Rock Songs Ever, here is one more great conservative rocker, Paul McCartney's Freedom:

This is my right, a right given by God
To live a free life, to live in Freedom

We talkin' about Freedom
Talkin' bout Freedom
I will fight, for the right
To live in Freedom

Anyone, who wants to take it away
Will have to answer, Cause this is my right

We talkin' about Freedom
Talkin' bout Freedom
I will fight, for the right

To live in Freedom, ah yeah, come on now...

You talkin' about Freedom
Were talkin' bout Freedom
I will fight, for the right
To live in Freedom

Everybody talkin' bout Freedom
Talkin' bout Freedom
I will fight, for the right
To live in Free----------dom

Oh, Cal Skinner wanted to know if any Illinois bands made the NR list. The answer is yes, Cheap Trick with Taxman, Mr. Thief.

7 comments:

Anonymous,  4:42 PM  

If you took a poll of Americans, I wonder how many would have any knowledge of World War I other than that it must have existed at some point since there was a World War II.

Marathon Pundit 6:16 PM  

You're right. Military John Keegan, on the otherhand, views the second one as pretty much the same conflict.

Also, WWI concluded 85 years of various German Wars. 1864, the German-Prussian War, 1866, the Prussian-War, throw in the mix other Prussian Wars around that time with smaller German states, 1871, the Franco-Prussian War, 1880s on, various colonial conflicts, WWI, WWII.

If the 20th Century began in 1860 instead of 1900, it would have been known as the Century of German Wars.

Anonymous,  9:15 PM  

I subscribe to the view that WWI was really two wars. Austria started a local war with Serbia, while Germany's military leaders wanted to fight a "pre-emptive" war against Russia and France.

Below is one of my favorite poems from WWI.

Though we observe the Higher Law
And though we have our quarrel just,
Were I permitted to withdraw
You wouldn't see my arse for dust.

A soldier's verse

Anonymous,  12:02 AM  

Who are you kidding? Their is no such thing as a conservative rock song. Country maybe. Not rock. Maybe Nugent rocks, but he's also a libertarian.

Anonymous,  8:57 AM  

"You talkin' about Freedom
We're talkin' bout Freedom
I will fight, for the right
To live in Freedom"

Wow. That's heavy. How did he come up with that? One of Macca's worst musical moments ever. Another reason I think the only two decent Beatles are dead.

So-Called Austin Mayor 10:15 AM  

"Who are you kidding? There is no such thing as a conservative rock song."

That is not true. This is a conservative rock song.

pathickey 12:39 PM  

Amen, Mt. Mayor. "Let the Eagle Soar" is enough.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP