Tuesday, February 21, 2006

West Side Photo Blogging

The old Henry Horner towers at Western and Van Buren are coming down.......the VA puts up a new tower for the Jesse Brown Medical Center at Damen.
The new CTA station at Central Park serving the Garfield Park Green House. My wife worked all the Lake Street 'L' stations in the 1970s but this one is new. Either an old one renovated and moved here, or brand new and built in the old style. I would have taken some close ups but it was so cold and windy I hurried to get warm in the conservatory.
Political posters at 24th and Oakley. We had lunch over at Bruna's. I'll post those pics on my site. Food pictures some of the most popular hits there.
A Forest Claypool sign in Oak Park on Euclid just north of Lake. There were a lot of these around in Oak Park. Well, a few... nothing for Stroger for sure.


UPDATE: A reader writes,

The picture (Februray 21st post), described as Henry Horner housing project, is actually of Rockwell Gardens. Henry Horner was/is along Washington and Lake Streets from Damen to Oakley.

Good pictures nonetheless.
Thanks!

4 comments:

Levois 10:30 AM  

Here's some information on that station near Garfield Park.

Anonymous,  11:57 AM  

Bill, do you have a job or do you just blog and drive around taking pictures?

Bill Baar 5:24 PM  

I've been driving around Chicago ever since I was a kid... I was just a few blocks away from where I took the Henry Horner home pics when my Dad told me to take a good look around because Chicago's always tearing itself down and building something new.

It's true. My buddy's Dad inherited the family three flat behind Precious Blood Church in the 70s. The city took it over, and billed them $2,000 for demolition. I was looking at townhouses just behind this picture starting at $300k.

I used to spend a lot of time in Ukranian Village in the 70s at a bar with an indoor Boche (sp?) ball court.. I thought I should try and buy a two flat from one of the Ukranians... but I really wasn't in an investor frame of mind then.... too stupid.

Anonymous,  7:01 PM  

Every blogger should always have a camera close by.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP