Saturday, February 18, 2006

'Censored in Champaign'

Cross-posted at From Where I Blog

A religion of peace, huh?

As I've said before, the killings, riots and arson attacks we're witnessing have nothing to do with religion or cartoons and every thing to do with terrorists. If you notice the sign says to 'behead those that insult Islam.'

An insult could be what I've written in this blog today and still have nothing to do with the cartoons -- which by the way is not the issue with these people.

These are terrorists, plain and simple.

Here's a story about the latest death count

--0--

And ... a Pakistani cleric (word used loosely) has offered a $1 million bounty for anybody that kills one of the cartoonists that first published the cartoons about the Prophet Muhammad.

This is just more evidence that these people are terrorists and that this has nothing whatsoever to do with religion.

Here's that story.

--0--

In order to clarify a few points about my last rant concerning the Daily Illini fiasco, known in some circles as 'Censored in Champaign" let me address some of the questions raised in the comments section. However, first let me say how much I appreciate those that take the time to comment -- good and bad.

Much like the point Acton Gorton was attempting to make at the Daily Illini by publishing the Muslim cartoons I also believe that discussion and open dialogue is what breaks down the walls of misunderstanding.

With that said, let me try and clear up my position on this issue.One person asked if I thought the cartoons were inappropriate and the answer is 'yes.' But, on the flip side I still think they should be published.

Much like beauty, what's inappropriate to print lies in the eye of the beholder. For instance, I think a lot of things, including 'Piss Christ,' the Rev. Fred Phelps, the Rev. Pat Robertson and Al Sharpton are inappropriate. Some of them all the time, and some of them part of the time. But I don't think any of them should be censored ... ever.

To me, what has happened in Champaign is a clear case of censorship, period. And I believe the powers-that-be on the U of I campus are weak-kneed and have caved into the politically correct crowd. Did you know that staff members at the U of I were told this week that they can no longer blog? If that is not censoring and silencing the masses, then I'm confused.

Another point I want to make again and stress is that I strongly believe that once you start appeasing terrorists there will be another demand on another day. And rest assured that the thugs that are killing, burning and shouting 'behead Christians' are terrorists.

As far as the comments made by one poster about me being wrong on certain facts, I would simply say please list the facts that you believe are incorrect. I have followed this story closely, have some good sources that are close to the story in Champaign and have talked personally to both editors (Acton Gorton and Chuck Prochaska) more than once during the past few days.

Let me close by saying that, unlike the cowards at the Daily Illini, I encourage your thoughts and comments on this subject -- even in the event that you disagree.

And for every valid issue and question raised I'll respond.

That's a promise.

5 comments:

Bill Baar 12:33 PM  

Lets not forget Americans and Muslim Shia Arabs and Muslim Sunni Kurds risk and give their lives every day together as allies in a great cause.

That our greatest ally in Iran is the Iranian people in their struggle for freedom and Democracy which is largly ignored.

Lets not forget this... I would like to see our student editors write a bit on that too.

Anonymous,  1:29 PM  

I agree with Bill on Iran. I think that the gender imbalance in China will also greatly favor the eventual democratization of that dictatorship as a lot of the young men will probably agitate for revolt against the stupidity of the regime that oppresses them.

Skeeter 12:44 PM  

"This is just more evidence that these people are terrorists and that this has nothing whatsoever to do with religion."

Are you claiming that all Muslims are terrorists?

Do you realize that there have been more acts of terrorism in the United States by the anti-abortion people than by Muslim extremists?

Are you going to claim that all Christians are terrorists?

Anonymous,  2:39 PM  

Oh please Skeeter...save the abortion propoganda for a Stanek post. You're such a reactionary.

Skeeter 3:55 PM  

Anonymous said...
Oh please Skeeter...save the abortion propoganda for a Stanek post. You're such a reactionary.

The post was directly on point. The allegation was that Muslims are terrorists. In fact, in America there has been more terrorism by the allegedly Christian anti-abortion forces.

If you are going to claim that a religion is filled with terrorists, in America, that would the Christians.

I would call you a name here (as you did me), but I don't see the point.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP