Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Dick Durbin meets Pajama Media

In PowerLine Today,

I then asked why, if the Democrats disagree with the administration's understanding of what AUMF authorizes, they don't present clarifying legislation telling the administration that its interpretation is incorrect. This would enable the Senate to vote on whether it thinks listening to calls from al Qaeda to the U.S. is a necessary and proper measure to prevent another attack.

Apparently peeved at the thought of having to vote on that issue, Senator Durbin asked what organization I was with. I told him I was respresenting Power Line and Pajamas Media. Durbin said he wasn't familiar with this group, and then proceeded to address my question. His answer was (I quote from memory) that "this is not how things work" and that (if I understood him correctly) the issue is whether the president's actions are constitutional.

I attempted to follow-up by noting that if the administration is right about the interplay of FISA and AUMF, there is no serious constitutional question because the president is acting with the permission of Congress. Durbin made it clear, however, that questioning was over. His parting shot was that he would try to check out what I write for "Pajama Line." My parting shot, that Dan Rather knew something about the outfit, drew laughter. [Baar's empahsis] Afterwards, Debra Burlingame, sister of the captain of American Airlines flight 77 and a strong proponent of the NSA surveillance program, complimented me on my questioning.
Both of our Senators sound like goofs this morning.

UPDATE: PJ Media has the video here.

1 comments:

Anonymous,  12:28 PM  

Give me a break.

You're interviewing a US Senator on behalf of a partisan blog, and he "sounds like a goof?"

I suppose that was going to be the story one way or another, now wasn't it.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP