Tuesday, January 03, 2006

More on DePaul's "Empire Strikes Out" series: Forced indoctrination

Cross-posted on Marathon Pundit.

Read more on the above post about DePaul Universities' "Confronting Empire" series. Also, Dr. Steven Plaut has written a magnum opus on the Chicago college, DePaul U Confronts Amerikan "Empire," which I excerpted in that post, but Plaut's article is so good, it deserves a link here too.

Today was the first day of class of the winter quarter at DePaul. An anonymous tipster sent me this e-mail this afternoon.

My class, Global Connections (which I had my first day in today) is requiring us to visit two of these events. Some highlights include a roundtable on "Just and Unjust Wars"; viewing and discussion of the film Winter Soldier; discussion on Venezuela and Globalization (is this even possible?); and a discussion on "Gitmo: The Legality of Detainment."

For a different view of "Winter Soldier," this site, put together by Free Republic, is worth visiting.

3 comments:

Anonymous,  8:53 AM  

What a perfect example of why conservatives have problems in school. They are so closed minded that they refuse to even discuss issues.

Legality of detainment? A smart student would have no problem with that one. On the other hand, your typical college Republican would simply cry and scream about discussing it and how everyone was biased.

When I was in college, I had no problem telling my professors when I thought they were wrong. Of course, I grew up with the ability to think critically and not just recite Rush Limbaugh, unlike most college Republicans.

Maybe the student who sent you the e-mail should enroll in Tehran U. People there never question the government. The student would fit right in.

Anonymous,  10:00 AM  

Pat,
LU Class of 1989. Go Ramblers. The "Alfredrick Hughes" years. Up at the half against the Pat Ewing Georgetown team in the round of 16, only to see Mr. Ewing turn it on in the second half and blow us away. A sad night.

The department I was in was pretty conservative. A lot of former University of Chicago people. I never had a problem challenging them and with one exception, none of them had a problem with it. LU also had some people on the far left at that time, and I never had a problem challenging them either.
Of course, that may say something about my own intellectual abilities, and something else about the intellectual abilities (or lack thereof) of the typical college Republican. I remember spending a lot of time being pretty disgusted by seeing them walking around campus in business suits. They were all 19 going on 55. None of them could debate worth anything, and they rarely tried. Looks like things have not changed over time. They still look weak, as the posted e-mail shows.

Marathon Pundit 10:06 PM  

Tehran U. had some rays of sunshine, as I read in "Reading Lolita in Tehran." Maybe they're gone now.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP