Friday, January 13, 2006

Once again, LaHood ducks the lobbyist-paid travel question

I just caught Ray LaHood (R-18th) answering WEEK's Mike Dimmick's questions about money from lobbyists and travel.

First, LaHood said that he proud of the fact that 70 percent of the money he gets comes from sources within the 18th Congressional District. He didn't mention that lobbyists are the largest single source of his donations during this election cycle. And I will be looking up that disclosure statement he mentioned.

And when Dimmick asked him about travel, Ray once again focused on the trip to China paid for the Aspen Institute and how what he learned over there will benefit the district. The underlying (and incorrect) message was that he's innocent the criticism that he's going on trips paid-for by lobbyists.

At this point, Dimmick should have asked: "Yes, Congressman. But you did go on a trip to France and that trip was financed by the Nuclear Energy Institute, wasn't it?"

Of course, that didn't happen.

Maybe one day I'll hear that questioned asked.

The segment ended with LaHood's platitudes about how ethics are important, but no commitment to change his personal behavior.

Read all my LaHood coverage here.

Originaly posted on Peoria Pundit

Technorati Tags:
, , , ,

5 comments:

Charlie Johnston 1:44 AM  

Tell me, Bill, do you ever take a Democrat to task for accepting money from PACs?

Taken Lake Evans, who consistently gets over 80% of his money from outside his district and never brings a damn thing home. Does that concern you?

You make no bones about the fact you are a Democrat. Fair enough. I make no bones about the fact I am a Republican. But I do hold members of both parties to the same standards.

You are not targeting LaHood because he is an egregious offender - because he is not. You are targeting him because we have a few Republicans who are obsessed with defeating him.

So you exagerate his offenses, while ignoring larger Democrat offenses of the same sort in a purely partisan effort to expand your delegation.

I am a partisan Republican. But unlike many of you Democrats, I will not start treating the opposition's jaywalking as if it were a capital offense while treating my own side's capital offenses as if they were nothing more than jaywalking. I am a partisan, but I refuse to be an immoral partisan shill.

Anonymous,  4:57 AM  

Charlie: Let me clarify few things.

I am not a Democrat. I am a Libertarian. I voted for Harry Browne for President in 2000. Because of Sept. 11, I voted for Bush in 2004. You might be interested to know that I was accused of being a Republican and a convervative right winger when Sen. Dick Durbin compared members of the military with Nazis and Communists because of the abuse of prisoners.

Also, I live in the 18th District. Lane Evans represents the 17th District. There's a lot I admire and a lot that I don't admire about Lane Evans. But I chose to not focus on him simply because I don't live in his District.

Very little of my concern over Ray LaHood has to do with the acceptance of donations from lobbyists, per se, although it concerns me. My main concern is his absolute refusal to be honest with the voters about his forein travel and who paid for it. I am equally upset at Peoria's media, which seem intent on not being watchdogs.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'll note that I am angry personally with LaHood for voting against a measure tha would have protected bloggers from hving to comply with campaign disclosure laws under the doctrine that a blog with a link to a politician's Web site is essentially a form of donation to that candidate. I consider Ray LaHood and the others who voted for this mess to be a threat to my well-being, as I will not comply with this law, nor will I provide the government with details about my finances simply because I choose to exercise my free speech rights.

Charlie Johnston 5:58 PM  

Thanks for your candor, Bill.

I have my disagreements with LaHood, but my experience with him has been that he is very approachable and reasonable. What I respect most about him is that, even when we disagree, he has always told me candidly and why. I have NEVER had him me one thing and then do another.

And he does listen. Convince him that you are right and he will act accordingly. I have caught some heat from some of his critics for always describing him as a stand-up guy. But that has been my experience with him both when I agree and when I disagree.

Give his office a call and speak with him about what your real concern is. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the reception you get.

Since you live in his district, I'm sure you have his contact info. If not, contact me at charliej373@yahoo.com and I will give it to you.

Anonymous,  7:22 PM  

LaHood, Evans, what is the difference?????

Anonymous,  12:21 AM  

I think we can assume that Rep. LaHood knows my views on the matter. And he's has plenty of opportunities to respond, and generally he hasn't choses to level with the public.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP