Thursday, August 21, 2008

Happy Birthday, Declan Patrick MacManus

Next Monday we wish a Happy 54th Birthday to Irish songwriter, singer, and musician Declan Patrick MacManus, better known as Elvis Costello.

Here is a gritty, raw, video of his first television performance, Alison:



I'm not gonna get too sentimental
Like those other sticky valentines
'Cause I don't know if you are loving some body
I only know it isn't mine

This is why funding the arts is important, why including music and the arts in school curricula is important. You never know where the next MacManus is lurking.

2 comments:

Rep. John Fritchey 11:29 PM  

I've seen him probably a dozen times over the years. I just saw him open for the Police about a month ago, and let's just say that he's a lot closer to his form of 20 years ago than are the Police.

Anonymous,  11:16 AM  

Yes, but did you see him open for Bob Dylan (solo) at the Chicago Theatre in October of last year?

He was absolutely terrible.

I saw the Police twice (26 and 24 years ago) and they were lousy live even then. Sting was toxically obnoxious.

If I ever had the opportunity to see Costello with the Attractions (or any backing band) I'd probably enjoy the show.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP