Thursday, December 08, 2005

My Pints with Paul - Vallas is Missed

Last Sunday morning I drove up to the Conrad Hilton, in order to report on the Giannoulis for Treasure announcement. While making some notes in the North Boulevard Room, my cell phone rang; it was another Greek in public service - Paul Vallas.

Paul was visiting a friend from his Chicago Public School days who had been striken by cancer. Paul Vallas used up his weekend by driving ( hates to Fly) from Philly, where he has performed miracle level revitalization of their school system, as its CEO. The Vallas family lived down the block from me in the 19th Ward of Chicago and his bride and boys were frequent guests to my kitchen table - which has commanding view of life on 108th Street.

Paul called to get together at Keegan's Pub on Western, where Paul and Sharon would unwind with the neighbors. Paul would meet me there. I took my notes and headed home to draft my blog; as I had a good hour to do both and meet Tall Paul.

I raise money for a Catholic high school and neighbor Paul pirated nearly every big corporate giving program out of the hands of us mackeral snappers. My boss and I called Vallas the Prince of Darknesss - he out-Catholiced the Catholic School System in a fair fight. On one snow day - Paul wearing a DePaul jersey 'announced the Catholic school closings' on TV. Chutzpah! Kala! Paul was usually blasting off from the curb on Maplewood before I ever got the car in the morning and it was rare that he ever beat me home. Sharon often called to see if me and the kids ( I'm widowed, but a great cook) would join her for dinner as Paul was attending to CPS budget review and would be home by St. Swithen's Day.

I made my report to ILLINOIZE and headed to Club K - not the cache of Cork and Kerry, but much better level of cultural and political discourse.
Paul was already at it arguing about Kyle Orton's talents, eclispsed by the Bear Defence, and the heroic pounding taken by Brett Favre. He was surrounded by cops, teachers, coaches,fireman, millwrights, bricklayers, bankers, carpenters, and electricians - all 19th Ward residents. Paul and Sharon are missed.

During Paul's campaign for Governor, Vallas would policy some poor slob rigid, until Sharon would wedge in and save Paul a vote. All the guy wanted to do was say Hi and good luck. Paul, like most of us middle-aged working stiffs has a face for radio, but his ex-cop bride is easy on the eyes and smarter than George Will. She can also handle jerks who attacked her family during the campaign.

His return to Keegan's was a Greek festival of staccato-compliments , jibes and parries. ( The day after his loss in Gubernatorial Primary, Paul stoped at Keegan's and was greated with this kind consolation of a homicide detective ' Don't you have a job yet?' Paul loved it; his blues went away). The level and intensity of his knowledge and his ability shift gears in mid-conversation is amazing. The folks at Keegan's understand politics and none present last Sunday held a political 'job.' Many would use the term politician as an insult, but all remembered Paul as a stand-up guy. He made the mayor of Chicago look pretty good before he was called up to the 5th floor for the pink-slip, as CEO of CPS and before that as budget chief. Paul went down the shute for political reasons - he was too big. You would think that in a casual moment some bitterness would surface, but those waiting for such pearls of venom were disappointed. I for one.

I am bitter that Paul Vallas is not our governor; but, TS and a big kiss makes it all better. Paul Vallas talked about the exciting challenges that his life has offered him, but he misses the neighborhood and he misses his friends. His friends are cops, firemen, teachers, coaches, millwrights, bankers, carpenters, and electricians. Bricklayers - I forgot the bricklayers; the McKenna boys are pretty big. Paul stated his love of the neighbors especially the Sheahan boys - Skinny in the lead. He may move back at some point and it will back to this neighborhood.

We visited for a good hour and a half. I had three pints of seltzer and lime, as I love bars and hate the effects of booze; Mr. Vallas, a malted grain beverage of domestic origin. Every one present hated to see him go out the door; they hated to see him leave the neighborhood.

The way life works we may see Paul and Sharon and the boys come back through the door.

1 comments:

Anonymous,  12:47 PM  

I helped a little on his campaign - and like you, I wish he was our Governor - he was the real deal.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP