Thursday, December 15, 2005

A 'sign' of the times ...

Cross-posted on From Where I Blog


I was driving into Johnston City in Williamson County on Wednesday morning when I caught a glimpse of 'it' out of the corner of my eye. I hit the brakes suddenly and slowed to a crawl.

I wanted to look away but it was like trying to turn away from a serious car accident -- I couldn't help myself I had to look at 'it.' As I stared at the spectacle I heard an unexpected, barely audible shriek come from my mouth, a wave of nausea sweep over me and I could feel the little hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Surely this cannot be happening, I told myself aloud ... not now ... not here at Christmas ... not before I've had my first glass of rum-laced egg-nog ... not before Santa arrives. Oh, my gaw-w-w-wd ... no .... no ..." I uttered to myself.

To make sure that I had really seen what I thought I circled the block and once again there it was, right there in broad daylight. How disgusting, I thought. Then those same old familiar feelings washed over me again -- nausea, headache and that salivating-thing that goes on right before you ... well ... you know what happens when you start salivating.

Yes, there it was right there on Broadway Street ... my first sighting this election 'season' of a political sign.

The dubious distinction of having the first sign planted in Southern Illinois soil goes to Jim Oberweis. I could have sworn that I heard the sound of 'God Bless America' accompanied by the strains of churning dairy equipment as I glared at the sign. It's really happening, I warned myself.

As I drove away from the sad display I was a defeated man, a broken man with nothing to look forward to -- not even a visit from Old Saint Nick. (YES, I have been a good boy this year.)

All the joy of Christmas was gone in a flash because all I could see on that dreary December day was signs, millions and millions of political signs, covering every square inch of the landscape, hanging from utility poles and blocking the view of oncoming traffic at intersections.

I drove resolutely toward home, wallowing in the sad reality that the political season has really, really started. Forget announcements, ignore endorsements, don't pay attention to nominating petitions and filing deadlines ... when the political signs start popping up like new grass in spring -- the election season is in full-swing and it's time to run for cover and to seek shelter.

Moments later as I drove down the lonely highway I flipped on the radio to try and ease my sad mind. Can't you guess what song was blaring from my radio as the political sign gods taunted me even more?

"Signs, signs everywhere signs, blocking out the scenery breaking my mind, do this, don't do that can't you read the signs?'

Yes, I said out loud talking to myself, I can read the signs.And those signs tell me that it is exactly 318 days until next November's general election.

Sadly, I guess it's just a 'sign' of the times.

3 comments:

fedup dem 9:35 AM  

It would seem to me that a billboard touting a candidate running in a contested race in the March 21 Illinois Primrary (which is barely three months away) would be preferable to an outdated sign along the road urging you to attend the 2005 Illinois State Fair (or some other event in the past).

Anonymous,  9:59 AM  

Jim Patrick has done a great job in Southern Illinois. Signs are everywhere! Look in Marion, Look in Carbondale, Look in Carterville. Way to go Jim Patrick! Keep up the good work.

Anonymous,  10:04 AM  

Balgo's proven
He's just no good,
While Judy has Feds
Scouring her neighborhood,
Steve couldn't cut it
And made an exit pour,
Bill's not catching on
Despite a statewide tour,
The Feds and Ed are ready
To batter Balgo some more...

What?
Is that "The Milkman"
I hear at the door?

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP