Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Blago? Topinka? They're the same.

Cookies to Dennis Byrne, who says what needs to be said better than I can. Doing something so drastic and framing it as "If you don't support this, you hate the children" is positively crap. It kind of goes along with what I've been saying for the last few weeks - using it's for the children coupled with 'helping schools' is the best thing anybody in Illinois politics can do. On the other hand, using that to promote an otherwise bad idea like the GRT is fairly immoral. Steve Jobs told us the facts: Money does not fix the schools. Reforming the schools fixes the schools.

Contrary to popular belief amongst some of our commenters, I'm really not dismissing any of this stuff off the bat. In fact, I'd generally be ok with pumping money of into the schools if I thought it would be used for the better output, instead of being just a 'throw money at the problem' solution - I'm not even sure that Blago recognizes that there is a problem. I might even entertain the idea of a statewide health care program if it were wired in such a way that fostered some niche business growth, which is something that I don't consider beyond the realm of possibility.

And the GRT? I've tried to open my mind up on this one. I've tried to see if there was something I can like about it. I've tried half-heartedly to contextualize it in some way where it doesn't make Illinois a completely anti-entrepreneurial state but I find myself distinctly coming up short. As a matter of fact, I can't think of a single good thing about it. It's a sneak tax. The middle class is going to end up paying for it in cash and jobs.

Democrats have expressed dismay at the Hot Rod's plans. Republicans have been out with the criticism.. Suffice to say, there are some businesses right now who were wishing they had thrown Republicans an extra couple of bucks back in '06, and definitely some voters who were wishing that they didn't toss in a status quo vote. In the comments on the above link:


Had the Republican Party gotten their act together before the last election, we would not be having this discussion.


And isn't that just the 800lbs gorilla in the room.....

Call me a 'tool of the combine', but are any of the strident righty's sitting around kicking themselves in the ass for not lending a heavier hand to Judy Baar Topinka. As I recall, their main grudge with her was that there was "no difference between her and Blago". I think you'd have tough time trying to make that argument today, unless of course you want to argue that Topinka would take office, drop a business killing budget, and set the state's finances to self-destruct anywhere near the negligent level that Blagojevich is doing right now.

What I find particularly fascinating about it, is that there's a certain symmetry between that dialog we had as a state party back in '06 and that the same or substantially the same dialog we're going to have/or already having going into '08, as Tom Roeser, Bill Baar, and myself all provide clarion examples of when tallied against the dismay of the more ideologically pure.

The real kick in the teeth: we have to resolve this issue of being a 'true conservative' vs. being a combine politician or a RINO. And if we don't, Blago's budget is just going to be the tip of the fiscal horror iceberg. As Cap Fax commenters have correctly noted, the Dems have two or more strong candidates in the stable, and we have none. We need management conservatives now.

6 comments:

pathickey 2:10 PM  

Great work, Dan! Thoughtful and cuts to the issues.

Suit up, Son, and buckle your chin-strap! Get ready for the usual parade of HS merchants!

Levois 3:07 PM  

Ideological purity means nothing if you can't win elections. It wouldn't be an issue if it was a winning strategy. I didn't like Topinka myself though, but only because she seemed to have been of that ilk that didn't like the conservatives.

Dan L 5:25 PM  

You're pretty much right, Levois. The ILGOP party is tribal. The more using of "the google" that I do, the more bizarre stuff I'm finding about factionalism with in the ILGOP.

Judy was part of one crowd. The hard right was part of another. Just wait till Dan L unloads that stuff. I"LL BE FAMOUS!!!

Or not. :)

Extreme Wisdom 7:42 PM  

Dan wrote:

I think you'd have tough time trying to make that argument today, unless of course you want to argue that Topinka would take office, drop a business killing budget, and set the state's finances to self-destruct anywhere near the negligent level that Blagojevich is doing right now.

As one of the people who made the "ain't no difference" arguments prior to the election, let me first to defend it.

I don't know if JBT would have done a "worse or better" tax increase, but there would certainly have been a tax increase, and it would have had Republ. fingerprints all over it.

Hopefully, this tax increase will have only Dem finger prints on it, and when the money gets sucked into the pension sinkhole in one year, and they are forced to come back for more, let's hope the electorate notices.

I argued all over these ILBLOGs that JBT would be worse for the GOP long term, and I see no real evidence that I was wrong about that.

That view, BTW, was not based upon her being in a parade or her view on social issues. Though pretty socially conservative, I'd have voted for a Gidwitz, just like I'd have voted for Arnold if I was in Kaleeforneeeya.

For me, the issue was corruption (I also ID 80% of "corruption" in IL as legal - end-of-career bonuses for Educrats comes to mind as an example), and I don't see any reason to vote for anyone who had Topinka's background.

Illinois may be ready for some positive changes, or it might just become a cesspool like New Jersey. I care enough to try to head that off at the pass, butI frankly don't care enough to put some one of Topinka's ilk in office.

I don't mind voting for some one "imperfect". I just don't see any reason to vote for some one who is going to suck just because the other guy sucks worse. I expect Rod to suck, and he rarely disappoints. Topinka would have sucked, and taken many R's with down that path with her.

That said, your points about having to "fix things" in the GOP are accurate. My view is that it can't happen until they start promoting good policies, and they can't do that because they are now locked into protecting their dwindling seats. They need Dems to keep the booty flowing, and they are therefore incapable of promoting any good policies.

Their (Republicans) only slogan is "We don't suck as bad as Rod." The fact is, given their utter vacuity, they do suck as bad, and the infighting only makes it worse (but slightly more entertaining).

Bill 5:23 AM  

I guess in your mind that argument about hating children is different from the one you spout all the time, "if you don't support this, you must hate gays."

In fact, the GRT will lessen the tax burden on the middle class and force big business to pay its fair share. Do some democrats lack the courage to press for real education funding reform in this state? Probably. The usually incoherent ramblings of Richie Daley are coming through loud and clear. He wants an income tax increase for schools. That way his business cronies won't have to pay.

Anonymous,  6:29 PM  

Don't blame me. I voted for Rich Whitney!

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP