Wednesday, August 23, 2006

When all you have is a Hammer, everything looks like a Nail

I never thought I would have anything nice to say about Joe Birkett, atleast on a blog.

But people's positions on the issue of crime and punishment often cross party lines, and for the first time, I find Joe Birkett on the same side as me.

The compelling lede from today's Daily Herald story, regarding the hyper-incarceration of drug addicts:

Nick Blasucci found himself in jail and in desperate need of a fix.

He traded his only pair of shoes for drugs that failed to get him high. He received a replacement pair but quickly put them on the black market, too.

It wasn't the life the 17-year-old suburban kid imagined for himself growing up in Glendale Heights. He yearned for his freedom, something away from the jail's bartering system and his tedious existence within it.

The DuPage County court system offered him a way to avoid incarceration. If he agreed to enter rehab, at the county's expense, he would receive probation instead of prison.

Blasucci had no desire to give up his heroin addiction. But if it meant his freedom, well, he would begrudgingly accept the deal.

"I stayed sober at first because I always wanted to look good in court," he said. "But, after a while, I started staying sober because I wanted it for myself."

Blasucci, who now lives in Batavia and has been sober for 16 months, credits the court-mandated program with saving his life.
Joe Birkett's response:
DuPage County State's Attorney Joseph Birkett - who championed the drug court program that put Blasucci on his road to rehabilitation - agrees incarcerating drug addicts is not always the most fiscally or socially responsible option.

"Ultimately, it's better to have someone getting treatment," Birkett said. "It's much cheaper to have someone out working, paying taxes and contributing to society than it is to house them in prison."

If Joe Birkett can admit it, why can't the Cook County State's Attorney's office just say it, instead of this?

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. It's time to put a few better tools in our toolbox.


8 comments:

Bill Baar 5:52 AM  

I think a lot of people really misjudge Birkett.

Anonymous,  6:36 AM  

I agree with Bill. In fact, the people that probably misjudge Birkett the most are the ones he wrongly put on death row. But who am I to judge?

Anonymous,  7:18 AM  

As a criminal defense attorney practicing in Cook County I can tell you that the CCSAO does offer drug treatment as an alternative. Many clients cases are dismissed if the attend the CCSAO drug school and many others receive drug treatment probations under TASC.

Yellow Dog Democrat 12:39 PM  

Anon 7:18 -- I know...but the rhetoric that state's attorney's use shapes public perceptions and fuels the fire that keeps lawmakers from making common sense changes.

I believe that in his heart-of-hearts, Dick Devine understands that ending drub addiction is critical to breaking the cycle of incarceration, poverty and violence that is holding many neighborhoods back in Cook County. Unfortunately, when it comes time to step up to the microphone, they go back to Ronald Reagan's talking points sometimes.

Yellow Dog Democrat 12:40 PM  

Anon 6:36 - that was hilarious.

Bill Baar 5:56 PM  

I agree with Bill. In fact, the people that probably misjudge Birkett the most are the ones he wrongly put on death row. But who am I to judge?

Your as much a judge as any of us anon.

Here's a list of Illinois's wrongful death convictions.

Which ones besides Cruz and Hernandez you have in mind anon?

Anonymous,  6:59 AM  

WOW--YOU MEAN TWO AREN'T ENOUGH!!! And did Burkett try to assist in any way when he found out he condemned thes PEOPLE to death...In today's venacular--not only did he not lift a finger, he used the entirity of his hand hell-bent on tying the hangman's noose...And you want this person a heartbeat away from the governor's chair? Again--WOW!

Bill Baar 7:38 AM  

Wow like I mean wrongful conviction is pervasive throughout Illinois.

If only Birkett had failed, I'd still be for the death penalty.

So far no one's convinced me Illinois could return and not fail again.

Yes, Birkett failed here, but I would judge the guy entirely on it.

Daley failed with the Burge but I'm not going to judge him soley on that either.

That's my point... who ever you are.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP