Friday, April 14, 2006

What does Rich Miller and Oprah have in common?

I began my blog -- From Where I Blog -- about seven months ago and while I had an idea what I wanted to write and the types of stories I wanted to highlight, I had no idea what to expect.

As the months passed I noticed that certain topics generated more interest than others and at times I was getting 10-12 readers making comments. Other days, I registered zero comments. I've never advertised the blog so I was happy anytime that anybody mentioned they had visited. I was also flattered when I was invited to contribute to this blog.

Admittedly, I am challenged when it comes to technology so I have basically tried (emphasis on the word 'tried') to figure the blogging world out a little at a time. And while working 60 hour per week that is a sometimes difficult job.

About three weeks ago I figured out, after much cursing, how to add a counter to my blog. I really added it to see if I was getting any traffic at all and if it was worth the effort to keep on posting. In any event I was pleasantly surprised to see that I was averaging about 150 'hits' every day. While that number might not impress some, keep in mind that my expectations weren't that high. So, overall the numbers motivated me to keep on keepin' on.

I've checked daily and the numbers have increased slightly, which I think is a good thing.

Then on Thursday (yesterday) something amazing happened and it can only be the result of one thing. I posted on my blog about my disdain for the current state of affairs in Springfield. In short, I'm disappointed and totally worn out with the constant bickering, finger-pointing and blatant partisan politics. While railing on this I included a story that I wrote in The Southern Illinoisan where Barbara Reardon, an employee with the Illinois Department of Human Services, went on the record telling how people are dying before they can get medical help. The reason, Reardon says, is because of layoffs that have gutted DHS.

In any event, Rich Miller pulled one of my comments and made it the 'Quote of the Day' on his Capitol Fax Blog. Keep in mind those numbers I tossed out earlier about consistently getting 150 hits per day. Well, it seems after I was highlighted on Capitol Fax I had more than 700 hits on my blog on Thursday.

While I would love to believe that sudden jump was due to my writing skill I'm smart enough to know the 500-plus extra 'hits' came from a mere mention by Miller.

To say I'm impressed would be an understatement. And hopefully a portion of those 500 extra visitors might even return

The dramatic increase, which I find amazing, has led me to a definite conclusion. Apparently in the blogging world Miller has reached the same status as Oprah in the book world. All it takes is a mere mention by either ... and the masses head that direction.

Count me as one who is not worthy.

A good Good Friday and Happy Easter to all.

3 comments:

Bill Baar 8:04 AM  

it's not income for sure...

...I wish getting invited to blog here was like getting on Oprah's book list...

...that just reminded me to think again about my future and run out for a Mega Millions ticket.

Rich Miller 10:13 AM  

LOL

If I was Oprah, you'd get a million hits.

Levois 1:04 PM  

I'm grateful that Rich Miller gave me a couple of link from The Capitol Fax Blog.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP