Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Opps. Blagojevich Only Gives Gay Games $125,000 in Tourism Money; $25,000 More from Lottery

Guess I’ve been away from state contracts so long that I can’t interpret them correctly anymore.

In mid-June, I reported that the Gay Games, a.k.a., Chicago Games, Inc., had received $296,616. Turns out that was the total amount budgeted for the relatively non-controversial expendures outlined in my article.

Since the Gay Games woman sounded so sure that her organization was going to get $450,000 at the 3-2 Crystal Lake Park Board meeting, I thought maybe the money might be spread over two fiscal years.

Searching for money that might show up in the budget year that started July 1st, I discovered that only $125,000 in state touirism subsidies have been approved by that department.

Of the $125,000 grant, $62,500 was paid on May 11. The other half will be paid during the lapse period, that is, this or next month, I was told.

Illinois Review reported that $25,000 more came from the Illinois Lottery, about which I wrote here.

I do wonder why was the Gay Games women so sure of the $450,000 figure.

8 comments:

Anonymous,  6:39 PM  

I bet Daley's already spent that much on his 2016 Olympic bid efforts.

Anonymous,  8:36 PM  

I can't wait for the Gay Games to end. Let's get back to focusing on local and state politics.

Anonymous,  8:45 PM  

I think it's time to change the name of this blog to Homophobenoize.

Anonymous,  9:58 PM  

Maybe she was so sure of the 425k for the same reason conservatives in Illinois are so sure of their myths that they keep propping up MYTHS like soooo many truckers are leaving the Prairie State.

Anonymous,  10:20 PM  

Yeah, if doesn't make money, there's no point right?

Anonymous,  5:57 AM  

attendance at the gay games is supposed to be low
why is that? they have enough publicity

was Jack Roeser one of the elderly gentleman in the strength contest

Anonymous,  8:06 AM  

I am for limiting the salaries of doctors, lawyers, and politicians to 100,000 USD per year. I am also for eliminating health insurance companies.

we should stop enslaving our fellow citizens. One our of my time as a radiologist should not be equal to 20 weeks of berry picking.

i am also for cutting the defense budget 20% and for arresting leaders of big companies that have an incentive to encourage our legislative branch to spread fear and start wars. we can start with our VP. Ironically I will (again) vote for McCain in 2008.

The money should go paying down our debt, shoring up federal finances, providing help to new mothers, supporting the family, and improving our schools (which really really suck on average by northern european standards).

And to think I have worked on multiple grassroots republican campaigns in the state of illinois.

ugh.

Anonymous,  8:12 PM  

Neat picture of the lady with the "Microphone". Anyone else get it?

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP