Thursday, October 16, 2008

Obama's Finest

If you’re expecting this to be a rant based on last night’s Chuck Goudie expose about the “Fortress of Hyde Park,” you’re only half-right. You might be surprised, but I actually didn’t find anything particularly shocking or outrageous about the CPD providing extra protection to Sen. Obama’s home. I was, however, appalled that Jody Weis, speaking in uniform and in his the official capacity as Superintendent of Police, would assert that Sen. Obama is “hopefully going to be our next president” (emphasis added).


Maybe it was simply an innocent, off-hand comment meant to endear Weis to the city, which will undoubtedly vote heavily for Sen. Obama next month. Perhaps I’m making a mountain out of a molehill. After all, most people who watched this report last night probably didn’t even give a second thought to the remark. Still, I can’t help but think that, with all the concern about voter intimidation out there (mostly from Democrats still sore over the Florida fiasco), someone should raise an eyebrow about a man who commands an armed force giving even a flippant wink about who he's rooting for in this election.

Incidentally, one has to wonder: Weis’s background is with the FBI, where I am sure it was made very clear to him that it is never appropriate for a federal agent to make even the appearance of a political endorsement. What might have given him the impression that the same was not true for civil servants in Chicago??

6 comments:

Anonymous,  11:30 AM  

Jodi Weis should be disciplined as many police officers have for doing politics on city time.
You cannot be IN YOUR UNIFORM as the chief of police and say that you support one candidate or another. That is against regulations. Period.
They would (he would) discipline lower ranking cops.
Just think if a white rank and file not politically connected cop said that they are supporting McCain for President while in uniform--there would be an outcry.
Obama does not have a great record on law enforcement issues.

Anonymous,  12:16 PM  

Grand Old Partisan is absolutely right. It may have been a casual slip of the tongue, but for more than $300,000 a year in salary, Weis ought to be more careful about expressing personal opinions about candidates in upcoming elections while in uniform and on duty.

Anonymous,  6:05 PM  

Weis is hated by the rank & file and is on a short leash with Da Mare.

He was probably just interviewing for a new Fed job with the Obama administration last night.

Anonymous,  8:24 AM  

"Joe the Plummer" is the "Tipping Point" for John McCain.

Use Barrack Obama's own words against him, "spread the wealth".

Anonymous,  3:02 PM  

Barack has a good health plan.

Barack is a little BS on his tax plan. FICA is dangerous on the money. Barack could mean more taxes.

I like McCain on educational choice.

I am concerned about ACORN and vote fraud.

I am concerned about McCain's age and Palin being President.

I think that Obama is intelligent and articulate and has motivated people well but is untested.

I am not a fan of Billy Ayers, Louis Farrakhan, Bernadatte Dohrn or Jeremiah Wright--but I don't think Obama supports them but it does reflect a certain left of center and lack of character judgment. I don't think Obama is a terrorist or a Muslim--that is nonsense.

I think we should get out of Iraq--I am uncertain about details.

I think McCain is a man of integrity.

I am concerned about the lack of political courage with Obama on issues like drugs and sentencing even though he used drugs and political corruption and police torture in Chicago that Obama has been silent on. Obama has said nothing about Jon Burge. Daley needs checks and balances.

I still like Ralph Nader but he obviously can't win.
I met that guy Chad Koppie for Senate he was engaging and interesting.
The Green Party candidate for Congress Omar Lopez is interesting.

we need change, but what kind of change is important too.

Still undecided.

Anonymous,  6:38 AM  

I drove by there last night on mistake and this black lady cop in car #4510 was very rude and said I should study chicago history, cus I asked why the road blocks, and she told me "white boy, keep driving this does not have anything to do with you" Man that was foul! Any way I reported her to OSP/OPS, don't be rude cus I asked a ?.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP