Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Live-Blogging from the Capitol

Richard is posting over on Wonkish.com a live-blog from the Capitol today. Check it out:

A former school-mate of mine is down in Springfield today. I asked him if he could “live-blog” a day in the life of Springfield policy-making. He agreed. Looks like he is going to try to visit some committee hearings, and will check out some of the rallies planned for today.

UPDATE 1 - 11:00 AM: “A beautiful day in Springfield - sunny and in the 50s. Let’s make some laws!.”

UPDATE 2 - 11:30 AM: “Stopped by what I believe was a Campaign for Better Healthcare rally this morning. Very passionate group. Several speakers and huge enthusiasm from the crowd.

I think it is very hard to stop the current healthcare ball from rolling. The momentum is huge, and the stories are almost too powerful to ignore. Even the Republicans I have talked to down here have only one response to the healthcare plan: It’s a federal issue!

I hope you enjoy the comedy of that, too.”

UPDATE 3 - 12:30 PM: “Stopped by the Illinois Chamber of Commerce’s Anti-GRT rally on the steps of the Capitol. Very disappointing turnout. All white men between the ages of 40 & 60 holding up pre-printed signs (no union bugs on them FYI). Pretty canned speeches reading from the talking points - it stood in stark contrast to the passionate speeches from earlier this morning. And they weren’t really applauding their fellow speakers. It was one of the strangest rallies I have ever seen.

Looks like the same group who came out for minimum wage last fall. And a guy next to me said he was with a bunch of the same people from the group that opposed the corporate loophole closings a few years ago.

Also - You would think that since their ads try and show minorities that they could have gotten some to the event. I’m not saying … but I’m just saying.”

Update 4 - 1:00 PM: “Overheard in the hallway from an unnamed Senator: ‘The thing about the GRT is that it has totally changed our debate. We are now arguing over what new revenue source is best, not whether new revenue is needed at all.’”

Update 5 - 3:00 PM: “The committee rooms for the hearings on the Governor’s healthcare and education bills are absolutely packed. There were so many lobbyists and $1,000 suits piled out the door that I couldn’t even get in.

This seems to be a lobbyist’s dream - people will be paying them hundreds of dollars an hour to sit in a room with 50 other people doing the same thing. I wonder if the ones who weren’t able to get into the room will be able to get paid.

So many fat cats that the ordinary people stuck out like a sore thumb. If I can get in I will report back. If not, I may just go get some ice cream.”

Update 6 - Wrap UP: “So, I went to get something to eat. Walked around a beautiful spring day in Springfield, and then came back to the Capitol. To my amazement, the education hearing was STILL GOING ON!

It must have lasted 7 or 8 hours. I poked my head in at one point, and heard someone testifying in opposition to the GRT by saying that the state can’t pay for the healthcare plan because it is spending too much on Medicaid. And he was SO adamant about that.

I guess you get all types at the table.

All in all, it was an interesting, and bustling, day at the Capitol. I will be down next week, too. Maybe I can do another live-blog then. I had fun.”

3 comments:

Rich Miller 9:42 AM  

Nice job. Next time you do this, please tell me so we can link to it at the Capitol Fax blog as it's happenig.

Anonymous,  3:43 PM  

Nice Try, but Rich -- just to let you know --- Wonkish's account is not even close to what really happened at the rally.

Yes, there were a couple of speakers that did speak from notes --- probably because they are business owners and not professional speakers. None of their remarks were made or written for them.

Also, I saw plenty of women at the rally -- and not just a bunch of white men.

Let's try and verify our sources next time....

Anonymous,  7:29 PM  

Nice try, anonymous, trying to spin it away. I would say it was max 200. And I mean MAX. You can't really expect that much from a group that isn't used to turning out big crowds, though.

it was more than I expected to be there.

So Rich, here is a question for you: all the tv in Springfield showed the rally for what it was. Yet, all the print coverage around the state said it was this HUGE, boisterous rally that brought "600" people, which it clearly didn't even come close to.

Do you think this has anything to do with the IPA fiat? Do you think publishers encouraged their newsrooms to paint a deliberately inflated picture of the rally that the IPA helped promote?

I mean, the difference between the TV coverage and print coverage was ENORMOUS.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP