Friday, June 22, 2007

Don't Worry, Be Happy

Overtime. Three weeks down. The other side of June draws close. As Rich mentioned in today's Fax, the recent rumblings of a one-month budget deal is a mixed blessing: workers won't miss paychecks but the light at the end of the session tunnel dims further away.



I've noticed that overtime has strange effects on the statehouse gang. After May 31st, the senses of the capitol residents are altered. The marble floors seem harder on the feet. The air seems a little more stale. The tourists are peskier. As vacation plans fade into nothingness, I've seen more permanent scowls appear on once happy faces in the building. It reminds me of the Disney movie The Lion King...the once flourishing, ripe, and bustling pride lands of the African jungle are plunged into a barren field of misery with the mismanagement of its leader.




My friends have often referred to me as annoyingly optimistic. In that spirit, I wanted to turn attention away from the darker times we are currently weathering and ask a question about the good that there once was and will be again.


The Question: Of all Springfield players, who is the ideal role model?


Says Wikipedia: The term Role model was introduced by Robert K. Merton [1]. Merton says that individuals compare themselves with "reference groups" of people who occupy the social role to which the individual aspires. [2]. The term has passed into general use to mean any person who is an example to others.


I have been trying to bundle all of my lessons this session into a neat package that I can easily remember to take with me wherever I end up. But, I'll be honest, I've struggled to match up those qualities that I most admire with single individuals.


Those qualities:


-Intelligence— knowledge of good public policy AND the reality of the process

-Ambition—desire to achieve the greatest good at the highest level possible

-Purity—always in the game for the 'right reasons'

-Timing—made the right moves at the right times, taking advantage of opportunity

-Balance—a healthy lifestyle both politically and personally, well-centered


Who comes to mind? Preferably someone living and still active.

There ARE good folks in Illinois politics, I know it.

8 comments:

Anonymous,  11:57 AM  

Barbara Flynn Currie.

Anonymous,  12:10 PM  

I know this isn't really answering your question, but as a regular Capitol Fax Blog reader I consider you to be a great role model...for your insight and your ability to put things into perspective, and at such a young age to boot. You really do give me hope for the future and for the next generation.

Extreme Wisdom 9:49 AM  

First, let me critique your adding "purity" into the mix.

It's too easy to lambaste anyone's pick because no one in politics could qualify, and no one new could get elected and still qualify. In Illinois, we'll have to settle for "cleaner than most."

That said, I'd nominate Chris Lauzen, and I'd hope that there is some one in the Democrat circle that qualified as well, though I'm less knowledgable on the State's Dems.

As people post their views, I'd hope they strip out the ideological disagreements and just go with people they know of that act with some integrity - as many on the left and right and in the middle do all over Illinois.

For my part, I'd nominate that 1000s of ticked off and burned out people in Illinois who wish we had a better system and better people in government.

That's why we need a Const. Conv. We need to give voice to those people - and gag the people currently in power.

Anonymous,  12:32 AM  

I would suggest getting to know Senator Don Harmon (D-Oak Park).

He's an incredibly smart, low-keyed guy who has great instincts. Some would say he lucked into office -- he didn't have a GOP opponent when he first ran -- but that's only true if you define luck as "preparation meets opportunity." Harmon has been a prolific lawmaker, and has taken more than a few principled stands.

Outside of Springfield, I'd suggest keeping an eye on Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart. He was involved in quite a few issues that were difficult, but necessary, during his time in Springfield (e.g., juvenile justice reform). He took them on because he had a passion for solving the problem rather than for political gain. It will be interesting to see if he can pull off reforms in an administrative position.

Paul Richardson 4:27 PM  

Thanks for the thoughts.

EW, I understand your point re: purity. I assure you that I am not naive enough to overlook the reality of this political game. Compromises must be made. But, I think there is something to be said for those who fight more than most to maintain the ideal.

Anonymous,  5:21 PM  

Not responsive to your question, I know, but here goes.

The Lion King has always seemed a very nice reworking of Shakespeare's Henry IV. With Simba as Prince Hal and the warthog and mongoose as Falstaff. So if Springfield is becoming "a barren field of misery with the mismanagement of its leader," Prince Rod, who do you think Rod's Falstaffian warthogs and mongooses might be?

Not that the prince necessarily needs any. He could be a ne'erdowell all on his.

Anonymous,  5:27 PM  

". . . own." He could be a ne'erdowell all on his own. Oops. Too much mead.

Anonymous,  12:28 AM  

Pat Quinn

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP