Sunday, September 24, 2006

When Did the Right Wing Become Catholic?


Let's see. I voted for Kerry, Clinton twice, Dukakis, Mondale, Carter, McGovern. My wife and I got death threats after my oldest was born, because the Pro Life Action League said I was Pro-Abortion (actually what I said was that I was anti-jerk and objected to a really pretty performance by one of their street guerillas at an all school assembly) in 1984. So, as a Roman Catholic I am a member of the Religious Right?

Bishop Bernard Sheil started inner city programs before the Progressives knew what spoons to steal and the Mercy Nuns had been taking care of the poor long before Jane Adams co-opted their work. Most of the New Deal programs which helped create the American welfare state were crafted by Al Smith, the first American Catholic to run for President. Catholics - Religious Right? Come on, Guillermo Munro.

Guillermo Munro is a very talented young artist from the American southwest. I wonder if he is related to the novelist, filmmaker, and artist Guillermo Munro?Maybe his kid. The Sun Times has an eye for talent. Anyway the same guys who contracted Mr. Munro think that Madonna and Rosie O'Donnell are hip and 'edgey, ' Jesus! Boys, those two quarts of milk curdled years ago! Now, these same guys are going to undo the fortune of an up and coming hip young talent by linking him with lame pop culture? Beware - Guillermo! They told you that Roman Catholics are the Religious Right? Why that's lame.

Well, that is what Guillermo Munro and the Chicago Sun Times new trendy lefties ( Not Steve Huntley - he still gets a good supply of oxygen) would have us believe. Guillermo Munro did a composite piece for the 'edgey' Controversy Section - that is like taking Pete Seeger banjo tunes as 'edgey' Dangerous Songs! Pete's kind of a yawn, but then I get drowsey when WTTW and NPR drones on - they use 'edgey' too. Edgey must mean dull.

One Caveat! I do not think that we blogging-Doofi, are allowed to reproduce copy-righted art or photos - like that swell one from Chicago Reader that made Mike Quigley look like Ed 'Too Tall' Jones a couple of weeks back. So I need to post a link to Chicago Sun Times's "edgey" Controversy -this past Sunday: NOPE! Sorry. Can't even get a link up to Guillermo Munro's art work -

Let's try the old word of mouth - from an avowed flannel-mouth - here goes: Scott Jacobs ( an 'edgey writer') wrote a series of book reviews about the power of the Religious Right - nothing new here except that maybe Rosie O'Donnell flapped her gums about the Christian Right being more dangerous than the good folks at Al Queda and Hezzbolah, Inc. on that show with all the fat girls. Ok , Free Speech - Move Along -yeah, I know. Ok; So, to get things 'all edgey,' Cruikshank, Baron, Hayner, and poor Steve Huntley agreed to graphic artist Munro's thematic collage workup:

George W. Bush in a Catholic Bishop's get-up; Gothic Catholic Church Spires, Pre-Rapaelite Cherubs form some kind of Italian Catholic conspiracy, Gothic ( them Goths was Catholic) Columns, Catholic Stained Glass images of Christ the Savior and his Pal the Holy Spirit and some obscurred Saint to the left -Probably Martin Sheen; God the Father is not present in the stained glass representation. On the chasuble of GYB's cassock is the GOP elephant in GWB's left hand -we don't know what the right hand is doing - GWB holds a Crucifix adorned crosier.

We have us an 'edgey' porridge of Popery! Guillermo, like most young 'edgey' artists thinks that he is giving it good and hard to the Powers that Be. Problem is Guillermo, the First National Skank ( waaaaay before Paris Hilton assumed that role), Old Madonna herself, beat you to it and she's just 'sold out' her latest tour that PO'd the Pontifical Plutocrats. Kid, to get 'edgey' you need go after a hot target and here you try to nail a tired target and you get as lame and about as 'edgey' as the endless McDonald's jingle. 'DaDa Dot DaDa! I;m Lovin'It!

Catholics are too easy. We are like the tired old Dad who has come home from a double shift and has his three and four year olds doing Pirates of the Caribbean on him until they get tired of stabbing and hacking at him as he lays in front of the tube trying to get a look at Nesita Kwan and then he gently puts them to bed. Cute -not 'edgey.'

If you really want to get 'edgey,' do what Sun Times cartoonist Jack Higgins did last week or that Danish guy that has a Fatwah issued for his infidel head - That's 'edgey.'

Guillermo, my late wife was an artist and she told me how dense I was because I didn't 'get' the guy who had 'edgey' photos of guys peeing in each others' mouths. I am a DUMBASS! But, I did learn that the 'edgier' a young artist gets the more cache he gets. Kid, you need some more of that there cache.

1. Most Catholics vote Democrat ( most of them are not Progressives because most of them have all of their marbles) so that makes your assumption kind of sadly stale.
2. Catholics are always tied to back room smoke filled rooms Rum Romanism and Rebellion. it's old -hackneyed, been done, cliche, too 'picket fence' - Too Norman Rockwell - we want Norman Bates!
3. GWB done up like a Mullah or a rabbi or a Unitarian or a She BUTCH - like the cover story on the derth of good TV roles for Bull Lesbians -NOW that's 'edgey!'

Try to remember Guillermo to get 'edgey' you need to PO people that get PO'd - true art brings people together and nothing brings people together like a MOB of PO'd people. Roman Catholics are all happy today because ND came back to beat Michigan State. The Church Triumphant! Now, how lame a target is that, Guillermo?

Kid, you're as 'edgey' as Dean's Vanilla or the Empire Carpet Guy. Sorry - hard truths. See above Left - even the old Pope is snoozin'! Yeow! Speaking of dull - Gore, I voted for Al Gore. You see, Guillermo?

9 comments:

Bill Baar 5:00 PM  

Pat... a little confused by this post (educate me) but I'm a Unitarian Universalist who thinks Ratzinger is ok.

He stands up for Liberalism in the face of extremist Islam.

Anonymous,  8:23 PM  

What?

Anonymous,  8:44 PM  

A little confusing Hickey.

Are you pro-life? or not?

Anonymous,  9:46 PM  

I often find myself confused by this one.

I'm a pro-life, pro-gay rights, Roman Catholic who votes republican but wouldn't mind if Rich Daley were elected King of the United States

Could be an identity crisis in the works. More on that later.

Anonymous,  10:09 AM  

Perhaps us Catholics should run to the streets and start a riot...isn't that what Muslims do when people say anything negative about them?

Anonymous,  12:00 PM  

"isn't that what Muslims do when people say anything negative about them?"

All of them you think? Either that would be one hell of a riot, or it's one hell of a generalization.

pathickey 12:28 PM  

Hi Bill,

I was wondering about the lack of iconography from other faith circles. I am sure there might be a right wing Wiccan and even few Moral Majority Swedenborgians laying in weeds out there.

As for me I have always been anti-abortion ( without the hair-splitting) and have no problem with the death penalty. I can not see voting for a person over a single issue - no way a tin-foil hat nut-ball like Al Keyes gets my vote - even if he 'eliminated my credit card debt.' Sorry, just heard one of those catchy ads.

I do not conduct a litmus test for public officials getting my vote - I know - I Am going to Hell.

It's a room full of earnest Progressives and endless NPR and WTTW Specials with Peter, Paul & Mary/Judy Collins/The Weavers/Studs Terkle Monologues on why he is a National treasure and everyone else - gets to go to Heaven with Steppenwolf, the Kinks, Wilson Picket, Mitch Ryder and The Detroit Wheels, The Impressions, Sir Douglas Quintet, and get fed Slim Jims and Eau Claire All Malt by Madelone Stowe, Michelle Leigh, and Nesita Kwan. Damn.

Anonymous,  1:32 PM  

OK, I'm pro-choice, anti-abortion, anti-death penalty, anti-war, liberal, former Catholic.

What is suprising is the term "Christian Conservative" Jeasus was the most liberal person of his times. I have no doubts where he would stand on these issues. I just wonder where the "Conservative Christians" draw their inseration from. Are we all turning into a nation of lemmings?

Anonymous,  4:41 PM  

Hi, I think you are very confused and you think that my art reflects what I think, I am an Illustrator for controversial articles, please read the articles and write about the peop[le who write them. My views are not expressed in what I do. My job is to Illustrates the story even if I a like it or not, if I agree with it or not, it does not matter, it is called journalistic ethics.

Thank you for noticing my work do not judge me for what I do to eat. Please visit my website and judge my painting. That is really me and that shows what I am made up.

www.gmunro.com

Guillermo Munro

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP