Monday, September 04, 2006

Duckworth's ads against amnesty for illegal immigrants

Take a look at them. They're over at Soap Blox Chicago.

I'm a liberal on immigration. I was raised hearing immigrants are better Americans then those of us born here, because they chose the United States. So I choke up when I see non-citizens joining the service. I read Spanish surnames in CENTCOM's website and see our next generation of leaders.

I understand the illegal part of illegal immigration is a problem, and unpatrolled boarders threaten security. But basically I'm with Bush: grant amnesty and just call it a guest worker program.

These ads sure put Duckworth way to the right on the issue (if right and left have any meaning any more).

I sure don't like her image here.

Footnote: Jeff over at Soap Box Chicago corrected me that it's Soap Box, not Soap Blog. So I corrected the link above. No slur intended.

Postscript:
The pictures are also posted at Bridget in the Sixth.

cross posted at Bill Baar's West Side

3 comments:

Rob 1:48 PM  

As far as I can tell, 'amnesty' means 'any immigration position to the left of one's own.' You say Bush's plan is amnesty, but it doesn't offer any path to citizenship, which is the way the White House would define amnesty. Some of the crazier 'wingers in the House seem to think amnesty is anything short of mass deportations. So, sure, Duckworth is throwing around an amorphous political term here, but I'm not convinced she's putting herself "way to the right."

As for beefing up our border security, that's a positive step that liberals and conservatives can agree on.

Pat Collins 4:25 PM  

Or it shows that immigration IS a real political issue, and that the public wants LESS, a LOT LESS of it!

Ask the guy in MI who lost a promary over it?

Anonymous,  10:30 PM  

Controlling illegal immigration doesn't mean stemming immigration. Our nation was founded on and by immigrants. We cann't open our borderss willy-nilly, but there can be common ground.

Though I will say service in our military should be automatic citizenship. My bro Sanchez is a Bolivian and he has done two tours in Afghanistan already, fixin to go back for another this winter. He watched another one of my buddies bleed out and had to clean up the vehicle afterward. He's done a lot more for "America" than most of the people I know, in or out of uniform, but if he tries to go for his citizenship he is treated like an animal. That is horseshit.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP