Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Your Cook County tax dollars at work


This summer a private contractor resurfaced the North Branch Running and Bicycle Path that begins at Milwaukee and Devon in Chicago and ends at the Chicago Botanical Garden in Glencoe. I'm not sure the path needed to be redone, but the asphalt portion looks pretty good. Runners like myself prefer crushed gravel, and that portion of the work is terrible.

And it's not just me who's noticed. Last week while I was running, a cyclist recognized me, and pointed out that the edge of the crushed gravel is not only not well crushed, but the edge of that part of the path, in Harms Woods in Skokie, isn't graded well--it appears the the gravel is destined to be quickly eroded by the elements.

And I'm not road-apple picking here: Similar shoddy work can be found up and down the trail.

As for the photograph on the right, I took that one a couple of hours ago, it's just north of Beckwith Avenue in Morton Grove. This segment of the path hasn't been completed--that's because a water main appears to be broken and water is bubbling up. I haven't been on that part of the trail in a week, the water was bubbling then too.
I'm sure residents of states in drought-stricken areas will be horrified to learn that we have water to waste.

Speaking of waste, the dysfunctional government one-party rule unit known as Cook County Government wants to raise taxes. And yes, in response to a commenter on this blog, I'm fully aware that the Cook County Forest Preserve District and Cook County Government are separate public entities, but they are run by the same board of supervisors led by the same board president.

To comment on this post, or to vote in the Pajamas Media presidential straw poll, click here.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP