Wednesday, May 09, 2007

GRT Round-up

So we just got done a little while ago with the Committee of the Whole hearing on the Governor's GRT proposal. I would say that there were few new revelations that came out of the event, but I think that it was a very efficient way in which to advise the entire House on the spectrum of opinions on the subject.

The Governor must have said 3 or 4 times that gasoline could soon be $5 per gallon. After about the third time, I googled the subject and could not find any credible support for the Governor's claim. I'm just not sure that he's helping himself with a statement like that.

One panelist brought up a very interesting argument casting doubt on the constitutionality of the proposal. I would expect that this issue will be examined closely in the next few days.

I doubt that the opinions of many legislators were changed today, but if they were, I don't think that they would now be in favor of the proposal if they previously weren't. Speaking of which, we will be voting on a resolution essentially asking Representatives if they support the concept of a GRT.

And while nothing could can come of prognosticating on these types of subjects, here goes: 12 yes, 35 present, 69 no. Not sure how right I'll be, but it should be interesting to see the vote - and even more interesting to see the reactions to it.

To read or post comments, visit Open House

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP