Saturday, January 14, 2006

Special Education

I'm out of town for a couple of days, but came across an online article in the Houston Chronicle dealing with bond ratings for a school funding bond issue. (Apparently as busy as I am, I still have too much time on my hands.) In any event, what caught my attention is the part that I put in italics below:
There is uncertainty as to the future of the school funding system in Texas. The State Supreme court recently ruled that certain aspects of the Texas public school finance system are unconstitutional. The governor is expected to call a special legislative session, the sixth special session in less than two years, to consider school finance. The effect of any legislative action on school funding is undeterminable at this time.
Edwin Eisendrath seems to be of the same mindset as far as addressing the school funding issue in Illinois is concerned:
Edwin Eisendrath spoke at a taping of W-B-B-M Radio's "At Issue" program today. And he says -- if elected -- he'd call a special legislative session to address school funding.Eisendrath says getting more money for schools will require tough choices and force a re-evaluation of the state's entire revenue system. He says he won't promise to not raise taxes, but he says such an action would be a last resort.
I really appreciate the diverse and intense opinions I get here when I post about the school funding issue, so let me try this spin. It strikes me that the GA is constantly dragging its feet when it comes to trying to take on the issue of a major overhaul of our education funding system.

Do you think that a special session would help by forcing legislative and public attention onto the issue? My thought is that it would be like an old-fashioned cage match, that is, nobody comes out until a result is reached. Could it be done in an election year? (My bet, not a chance) Could it be done at all? Will a fix ever be done any other way? How? Keep in mind that the issue has been kicked around for, oh, about 40 years now.

Have at it and have a good weekend.

To post a comment, go to Dome-icile

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP