Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Does State Government Own Its Employees Lunch Hour and Breaks?

Boy, have times changed.

The State Journal-Register ran a story last Wednesday about a computerized ethics test that state employees must take. (There's a vibrant comment section underneath.)

But what is meant by "state work time?"
State work time is any time worked by or credited to a state employee that counts toward any minimum work time requirement imposed as a condition of employment by a state agency, but does not include any designated state holidays; any period when the employee is on a leave of absence; or vacation, personal, or compensatory time off.
That’s straight from the training material, according to reporter Bernie Schoenburg.

Here’s what I found out when I called to clarify that with the governor’s inspector general’s office.

When I was an executive branch employee of the Department of Central Management Services during the mid-1980’s, I think the work day was 7½ hours. I arrived at 8:30 and think I left at 5. I remember a half hour lunch hour, but, maybe it was an hour. There were two 15-minute coffee breaks.

So, I asked Scott Fornoff, who answers employees’ questions for the Executive Ethics Commission, whether the lunch hour and the breaks were considered state time.
Well, that’s the crux of the whole issue,
he answered.
What the statute says is that you are not to engage in prohibited political activity during compensated time. That’s a real question of what constitutes compensated time.
When I pressed him, Fornoff revealed,
The Commission hasn’t made any determination about what constitutes compensated time.
When I asked specifically about coffee break time, he replied,
And, again the Commission hasn’t determined what is compensated and what is not.
I asked him if he got questions like mine from state employees:
All the time.
When I asked if the lowly paid purchasing agents in the Department of Central Management Services, whose offices used to be close to mine, could be taken to lunch by those wishing state business, Fornoff said that individual agencies might have different (more restrictive rules), but that the state law allowed
$75 per day for meals and entertainment for state employees.
Neither of us could think of any place in Springfield where a meal would cost that much.

Fornof also talked about university professors:
We have run in the same situation for university professors.

What if they were to do some political work on tbeir spare time. It’s not really clear.
And, it won’t be until some Inspector General wants to ask for a decision about the issue.

Which brings me to the reason for asking the questions…

One day I was driving to work in my little red Honda and heard the most incredible story on the radio.

Governor Jim Thompson was reported to have proposed a one-half percent income tax increase.

Now, I know that a lot of flaks (press agents for public officials) are not very good at math, but try dividing point 5/10 of one percentage point by the then-income tax rate of 2½ percentage points.

Guess what?

It’s not one-half percent.

It’s 20%.

In a white-hot froth, I went to my friend State Rep. Bernie Pedersen’s office before the workday began. I wrote a first draft of a press release for him.

When break time came, I went down, discussed it with him and made revisions.

I guess under today’s “ethics” rules, I would be in violation.

Or, maybe not, since I was advising on politics, not electoral politics.
In any event, the media figured it out by the next news cycle and starting accurately reporting that Governor Thompson was proposing a 20% income tax hike, not a “half percent” increase.

6 comments:

Dr. Fred L. Nance Jr. 1:28 AM  

Make sure you know what the unions will say about this. You know they run the Governor's office.

Blagojevich really mishandled the Sheridan Correctional Center AFSCME strike. The AFSCME strikers are demanding comparable salaries and benefits to those of State employees. This is absurd.

If the State of Illinois could afford to give additional employees State wages and benefits, they would not have had an outside vendor produce the the product.

Blagojevich has allowed AFSCME's compulsory unionism to intimidate and threaten the Gateway Foundation, the outside vendor for the Sheridan Project, into relinquishing their contract with the State. Blagojevich is now looking for another vendor who will cater to the outlandish wishes of AFSCME. This will cost the taxpayers more money and it has weakened the Sheridan Project.

The "Sheridan Project" is supposed to assist the drug and alcohol addicted felons in the creation of new skills hoping their recovery will lower the recidivism rate in Illinois. The Sheridan Project is supposed to be a model prison for the rest of our country.

We must elect someone who has values and an ethical stance for equality and justice. Check out my website at http://clickforjusticeandequality.blogspot.com/and review the fiasco at Sheridan.

I have created a new website at http://clickforjusticeandequality2.blogspot.com/. This website will have templates for the socially disenfranchised and disadvantaged addressing discrimination.

Anonymous,  7:24 AM  

Cal-

It is semantics. Thompson was proposing an increase in the income tax of one half percent. That is a wholly correct way to say it because the base unit is percent.

If someone were raising the price of bread from $2 to $3, they are proper to state they are raising the price of bread by $1. The base unit is the dollar and they have stated the amount of the base unit they are raising it by.

Now I was barely out of High School by the time Edgar got in office so I do not remember the Thompson proposal so maybe it was phrased to overtly imply what you thought it meant. However, if the statement, was Thompson was raising the income rate by 1/2% from 2 1/2% to 3% then it was correct. I could see how it could cause confusion when people hear the base unit and assume it references the mathematical concept of the percentage of increase.

Anonymous,  9:13 AM  

And you still wonder why you got fired by the Thompson administration, Cal.

You should rename your blog "Still Clueless after all these Years."

Dr. Fred L. Nance Jr. 11:23 AM  

Gateway Foundation contacted me this morning informing me I could return to work. I will return to work on Thursday, September 7, 2006, at 7:30 am. I was forced out from my employment by the Illinois Department of Corrections on June 6, 2006 because I did not participate in the AFSCME strike against Gateway. AFSCME claims to be the bargaining unit for all the counselors at Sheridan, which I am a counselor at Sheridan. AFSCME did not contact me informing me I should return to work. AFSCME informed the counselors who were striking to return to work today. AFSCME discriminated against me because I did not strike. AFSCME cannot be my bargaining unit.

Thanks a lot Governor Blagojevich for how you handled this matter of my rights being taken from me. Thanks a lot Governor Blagojevich for how you allowed AFSCME to conduct its compulsory unionism. Thanks a lot Governor Blagojevich for how you let my family starve for 3 months because you need the union vote.

For your participation and assistance in the compulsory unionism, thanks a lot Illinois Department of Corrections, Illinois Department of Employment Security and National Labor Relations Board for letting my family lose their income to further the cause of AFSCME the union.

Unknown 12:49 AM  

I think of politics more as electioneering and fundraising. You example was more goverment advocacy.

Anonymous,  6:38 PM  

Is there a reason that you couldn't go out and get another job, Fred? IDOC may have locked you out, but no one forced you to wait around for the strike to end. You can't blame the Governor for your own unwillingness to work somewhere else - even a temp job - while the strike was going on. If my family was starving, I sure as heck wouldn't sit around and whine about how unfair things were and wait for someone else to do something about it.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP