Wednesday, June 13, 2007

State makes big fuss over local couple's vegetable oil car fuel

A very old story from March 1st about a couple getting a knock at the door from two agents of the Illinois Department of Revenue. I wonder if anyone had actually heard of this story. If not I might as well expose this story to a statewide audience...

David and Eileen Wetzel don't get going in the morning quite as early as they used to.

So David Wetzel, 79, was surprised to hear a knock on the door at their eastside home while he was still getting dressed.

Two men in suits were standing on his porch.

"They showed me their badges and said they were from the Illinois Department of Revenue," Wetzel said. "I said, 'Come in.' Maybe I shouldn't have."

Gary May introduced himself as a special agent. The other man, John Egan, was introduced as his colleague. May gave the Wetzels his card, stating that he is the senior agent in the bureau of criminal investigations.

"I was afraid," Eileen Wetzel said. "I came out of the bathroom. I thought: Good God, we paid our taxes. The check didn't bounce."

The agents informed the Wetzels that they were interested in their car, a 1986 Volkswagen Golf, that David Wetzel converted to run primarily from vegetable oil but also partly on diesel.

Wetzel uses recycled vegetable oil, which he picks up weekly from an organization that uses it for frying food at its dining facility.

"They told me I am required to have a license and am obligated to pay a motor fuel tax," David Wetzel recalled. "Mr. May also told me the tax would be retroactive."

Since the initial visit by the agents on Jan. 4, the Wetzels have been involved in a struggle with the Illinois Department of Revenue. The couple, who live on a fixed budget, have been asked to post a $2,500 bond and threatened with felony charges.
OK this is not the way to promote or encourage the use of alternate fuels that will not burn any "greenhouse" gases. I don't have an axe to grind in this I just find this to be an unfortunate story.

3 comments:

Glock21 7:00 PM  

Here's a May 18th update on the subject.

Apparently the House and Senate were working on passing a bill that would make people doing so free of restriction.

Glock21 7:17 PM  

Checked its status on the GA website... it passed both houses still has to get signed by the governor though.

Anonymous,  5:01 PM  

I blogged about it in March, after which the State Journal Register had an editorial. Thanks, glock, for the update.
http://www.thereisaway.us/2007/03/revenuers.html

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP