Monday, October 02, 2006

Must be Nice

In the No Wonder the Governor's in no Hurry to Help Us with the Bill Dept.:

Eric Krol follows up on a story about the Governor's flat-lined property tax reassessment that I had first read about in a Sunday column by Kristen McQuery. I'll just give you a snippet of the Daily Herald article, but you should check out both pieces:

On a square-foot basis, his home is assessed well below others of its class in his neighborhood.

The governor’s 0.98 percent assessment increase in what’s been a hot Chicago real estate market left one government watchdog group scratching its head.

Jay Stewart, executive director of the Better Government Association and a Northwest Side resident, stopped short of saying the governor had received a special break on his taxes, but he did say Blagojevich may be “the luckiest property owner on the Northwest Side.”

“I can tell you from personal experience that people in that neighborhood would die for a 1 percent assessment increase,” Stewart said.

The Governor lives in the north end of my district, about 3 miles away from me. And I can tell you that I don't know of ONE person between my house and his that wouldn't give a limb for a 1% increase in their assessment. My constituents (and I) are getting pounded by property taxes, and we are getting no help from the Governor's office in trying to find a solution to this issue.

And don't get me started on today's Tribune editorial, which simplifies the issue to the point of irrelevance.

It's safe to say that the collective absence of will to fix how we fund schools and assess properties has been one of the most disillusioning aspects of my tenure in the House.

To read, or post, comments, visit Open House

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP