Sunday, November 18, 2007

Sen Lightford's Emergency Room

Sen Lightford on naming Loretto Hospital's new Lightford ER addition after her.

From Austin Weekly News,

Sen. Lightford said, "OK, my secret is out. I've called my secret weapon 'firestorm,' but really the truth is, I ain't too proud to beg. Year after year in Springfield I beg in my own little way to make sure resources come back to the Austin community. Education is my passion, my heart, and this has been my second passion. When you think of health care and you think of the people in the community, why not have the best quality health care in your own town? Why do you have to go out to receive quality health care? It's not fair, and it's not going to happen here in the Austin community.

"Someone said at the board meeting, 'You get the money, we'll name it after you.' I didn't ask them to. My personal journey and my understanding and relationship with Christ is that he put me in this position to help others whose voices had not been heard, right here in the Austin community."

The senator acknowledged all the various individuals who have helped keep Loretto open. She talked about how Loretto Hospital was going to close down unless the boilers were repaired. She obtained the $3 million in state funds with the support of Senate President Emil Jones.
ER's aren't happy places Senator. I've spent some sad evenings just a few blocks north of this one. There is a good reason to name them after saints instead.

6 comments:

Anonymous,  9:15 AM  

Great cause but pathetic self back-patting by Lightford.

Anonymous,  8:55 PM  

I imagine this is the first of many honors for this gifted young mother on the go will deliver to her community. Congratulations Senator Lightford. Don't let the haters get you down!

Anonymous,  7:56 PM  

SAINT SHE AIN'T

Anonymous,  10:35 AM  

Great job. Credit goes where credit is due.

Unknown 2:55 PM  

Will anyone care in 6 months whose name a ER is named after?

It is not as if it is a highway or a room in a college.

Bill Baar 5:07 PM  

You'll hear the name often. Just like we hear Stroger Hospital often. That's why Pols like it.

It's just a heck of an association to make. I've been at ER's at Stroger and West Suburban and the memories not good.....

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP