Saturday, February 21, 2009

IL-05: The (Victor) Forys Interview

The Forys campaign was my last stop on Tuesday. Driving in from downtown Chicago (via Belmont), I could see evidence that Forys was making inroads with the local population. His red and white signs popped up with regularity.

The headquarters was buzzing. Perhaps a dozen volunteers on the phones and a few doing some administrative functions. I walked in with their new intern. Forys and his campaign manager arrived shortly afterward. We found a good spot to set up the camera, and when Forys arrived, we started talking. I asked about all the boxes in the space, which I didn't realize was filled with medical supplies. The community was involved in shipping meds and supplies to Poland, to my slight surprise. Forys seemed really tied to his local community.

As the interview ended, I asked about his experience with the Solidarity strikes. I couldn't really help myself, as I was fascinated by the fact that Forys was visiting Poland at the time. I included it at the end of the interview seen here.

I ask the same questions of every candidate. The questions I ask are derived from prior cycle's interviews, as well as my request for input. They split about half and half, half from prior election years and half the questions from the other area bloggers who posed questions for the candidates.

Candidates are provided the questions in advance. I tell every campaign that this isn't "Hardball" and I don't pretend to be Tim Russert. Rather, the point is to give voters the opportunity to compare the candidates side-by-side, to see how they answer the same questions, and to give them the opportunity to get their message out.

Other interviews in this series are:

Mike Quigley

Tom Geoghegan

Paul Bryar

0 comments:

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP