Monday, September 28, 2009

Truth about the Cook County Sales Tax

This leaflet was handed out at the recently held Chicago Football Classic on Saturday. In fact they had children hand these leaflets out before game where two HBCU football teams Mississippi Valley State University had defeated Alabama State University 10-3 at Soldier Field. Of course this wasn't the only political activity there on that day as Congressman Danny Davis, Circuit Court Clerk Dorothy Brown, and a woman named Kari K. Steele (from Chicago's Sixth Ward) were seeking petition signatures respective for County Board President and Commissioner on the Water Reclamation District.

Anyway, here's the flyer explaining the purpose of the Cook County sales tax it doesn't seem to advocate for a reduction of it. In fact it seems to want to qwell some of the bellyaching over the fact that Cook County has the highest sales tax in the county.


 
I want to present here another flyer from Bill Beavers asking us if his constituents are willing to pay an extra penny in sales tax. I got this in the mail over the summer. Posted about it on The Sixth Ward.



Well both of these pieces have an agenda one was more informative, perhaps even to quell bellyaching over the county sales tax. The other agenda was to maintain the health care services in the county.

The next question is to ask if you think these pieces were effective?

1 comments:

Anonymous,  3:36 AM  

So far this year I have spent about $3,000 with Amazon, free shipping and no sales tax. You'd be amazed what I bought: jeans, socks, a netbook & computer mouse, toothpaste, shampoo, laundry detergent, coffee, bakeware, kitchen utensils, knives, a bread machine, a gas grill cart, a blender, dog treats & toys... anything I need, I check first with Amazon. Every two weeks I drive to a 24-hour Meijer in Indiana to buy groceries (no sales tax on food and 7% on general merchandise) and gas (60 cents per gallon cheaper than at the neighborhood station). Clothes I buy at the Prime Outlets mall in Michigan City, one trip in spring and one trip in fall. Again, just 7% sales tax. And guess what? The parking lots are filled with cars from Illinois. So I'd say, no, the flyers were not effective, because it's not the black folks at the football game who are still spending money and have the means to spend that money elsewhere. It's white folks like me. And I'm not giving Cook County and black folks any more of my money until they start acting like they got some sense. And I am not afraid of being called racist if I say so. That doesn't work on me.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP