Sunday, March 16, 2008

Obama Answers Trib's Questions

Thanks to CapitolFax for posting the transcripts of the recent interviews given by Sen. Obama to the Tribune and Sun-Times.

I just finished reading through the Tribune transcript, and I think Obama did a pretty good job of answering all of their questions, especially regarding Rezko. Obviously, reporters are going to be digging around to verify Obama's statement that he was not at Trinity Church during the explosive sermons given by Rev. Wright.

Obama said something hilarious during the interview, which I think demonstrates his sense of ease and openness during the interview:

"I've learned how to be a better candidate. At least outside of editorial board meetings I've gotten better, which means keeping my answers shorter. I had a, I think I am, a much better debater in the traditional debate context than I was. I guess after 20 debates either you get better or you're voted off the island."

There's one thing that I have heard neither Obama nor his surrogates say regarding Rev. Wright, and I'm not sure why. Obama has pointed out that there are generational differences between he and Wright, to which he attributes much of Wright's angry rhetoric. What Obama did not say, and I don't understand why, is that Obama probably has a much different view on race issues having been raised by a Kansas school teacher and his white grandparents.

Obama's experience of growing up in racially diverse, racially tolerant Hawaii was also undoubtedly different than Rev. Wright's experience growing up in Philadelphia of the 1940's and 1950's. Like Chicago, Philadephia was on the front line of the fight for racial equality.

Thoughts anyone?

1 comments:

Anonymous,  6:08 AM  

Michelle Obama's "To-Do" List:
1) Make sure Barack drinks lots of coffee and takes a No-Doze before leaving for Trinity Church on Sunday.
2) Remember to take pencil & paper for Barack so he can doodle while Reverend Wright gives another inspirational Sunday sermon.
3)Remind Barack that we are on for dinner with the Rezkos at 8 PM Saturday night. Make sure we remember to wear our Foster Grants.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP