Monday, April 17, 2006

National Review 8/31/1998: Fighting Illini: will a Buchanan Democrat become the next governor of Illinois? - Glenn Poshard

A lot of people, including myself, were out there dancing a polka with George Ryan. From National Review in 1998.

Today, Rep. Glenn Poshard is the Democratic nominee for governor in Illinois. He is stalking a GOP establishment that, like the bullfrogs he hunted forty years ago, isn't quite ready to face him. He is arguably to the right of his Republican opponent, Secretary of State George Ryan, on a range of issues. Poshard is pro-life, pro-gun, and a deficit hawk. He has alienated the Sierra Club for putting the interests of his district's coal mines ahead of the Greens. Gay activists in Chicago hate him. His anti-NAFTA protectionism wins praise in blue-collar bungalows. A fiery stump speaker who mixes cultural conservatism and economic populism, Poshard is Pat Buchanan without the personal baggage. He is what Dick Gephardt or David Bonior would be if they hadn't bartered away their principles to the feminist Left. Poshard is a longshot against the well-liked and better-financed Ryan; his fortunes in November will suggest whether his style of politics has any future among Democrats, or whether Poshard is one of a vanishing breed.
Wish I had had better sense about getting onto the dance floor with him. I'm not so quick to judge a candidate, especially an executive, on these wedge social issues anymore.

11 comments:

grand old partisan 9:28 PM  

Thanks for the flashback, Bill.

I think your post reinforces the thoughts I posted on Rich's earlier this afternoon. There are so many remorseful Ryan voters out there, and I think many of them will empathize with Judy in her attempts to distance herself from him.

Anonymous,  11:22 PM  

Glenn Poshard is a good man. He was a good candidate. He should of won. I feel vindicated voting for him.

Anonymous,  11:25 PM  

Rick Garcia is real proud of giving us George Ryan. He would sacrifice ethics and better government and the lives of children in the then known CDL crisis to promote his radical sexual agenda.

Yellow Dog Democrat 11:38 PM  

liberace -- Give it a break. If anyone deserves credit for putting George Ryan over the top, it's probably the IEA. Poshard's wife was a teacher and on the endorsement committee; Poshard was a lifelong champion of public education. But the IEA wanted to be with the candidate they thought would win. They misread the poll numbers.

If the IEA has supported Poshard the way they supported Ryan, he would have won easily.

Bill Baar 6:31 AM  

Thanks GOP,

I agree about the remorseful Ryan voters. I'm certainly one. Worse, I convinced my wife to vote for him too and she reminds me of it.

I believed the NR portrayel of him.

I think it's going to be harder to predict who people will vote for now a days.

A lot of people re evaluating how they've casted votes in the past.

Pat Collins 8:26 AM  

I have no regrets. This son of southern IL voted for Poshard.

But I blame Cook Co Dems more for his loss than anyone else. Daley and Madigan wanted a lap dog for gov, not someone who had a mind, and the spine to use it.

Kemp 9:36 AM  

You're not the only one... I voted for Ryan over Poshard as well, as did my wife.

I was doing a fine job of repressing that until I saw this post... damn, now I gotta repress it again.

Anonymous,  11:32 AM  

"I'm not so quick to judge a candidate, especially an executive, on these wedge social issues anymore."


Baloney Bill... Why are you supporting Roskam right out of the gate?

Bill Baar 2:32 PM  

NW...

I voted for Ryan because Poshard was a social conservative.

I'm never letting myself get spooked by a social conservtive label again.

Where have I ever said I'd support Roskam?

I'd like to know Duckworth's stand on censure and impeachment first.

Anonymous,  3:02 PM  

This post makes me laugh because in reading this, Cap fax and Sneed, I'm amazed at how people feel the need to tie themselves into all of this.

Bill Baar 3:12 PM  

untied I think is a better way to put it...

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP