Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Durbin on election night on Bush, Iraq War veteran Tammy Duckworth's candidacy

Cross-posted on Marathon Pundit

Heard this on WLS-AM radio just now. Senator Dick Durbin, responding to a question about the president's press conference today.

"...he virtually has no plan to stabilize Iraq and no strategy for getting our troops home."

Durbin, along with other prominent Hillary Clinton, John Kerry, and Illinois' other senator, Barack Obama, have endorsed Iraqi war veteran Tammy Duckworth in her bid to become the Democratic nominee in Illinois' 6th Congressional District. Republican Henry Hyde, who has represented the area for over 30 years, is retiring.

If Duckworth wins, expect an enormous amount of national attention to be focused on this contest.

It many ways, a fall race with Duckworth as the Democratic nominee will parallel last year's Ohio contest between Iraq War veteran Paul Hackett, a Democrat running in a Republican district. Hackett lost a close election.

Illinois' 6th District is not as conservative as it once was, but it's still viewed as a Republican district.

Republican State Senator Peter Roskam is running in the Republican primary in the 6th Congressional District.

11 comments:

Bill Baar 10:02 PM  

I just saw Durbin at Duckworth's post election event... just caught bits and pieces of him praising her, as he should, but sure glad I wasn't there to rub shoulders with him.

She'll be very very tough for Roskam. I like her but hate to see her win.

I would be tempted to vote for her if I lived in district and the only thing that would stop me would be if the election becomes a referendum on impeachment.

So lets hope for Cegelis, or Lindy, who I find to be a great joy to blog about....

Anonymous,  10:05 PM  

Duckworth won't win because she won't have the support of the Party in her district...they may not vote for Roskam, but they won't vote for her.


Bill.....what, no mention of Rahm????

Bill Baar 10:24 PM  

I like ObamaRama better... would add Durbin but it doesn't ring.

I just don't want anyone to forget its the trio behind Duckworth here.

Anonymous,  10:30 PM  

Durbin doesn't irritate me any more than an average politician. What's your beef with Durbin?

Bill Baar 10:34 PM  

I think Durbin will tell me whatever I want to hear...

...and tell you too...

even though neither you or I want to hear the same thing.

Obama I feel different about... but he hasn't been around much yet either.

Marathon Pundit 10:35 PM  

Was that for me on Rahm?

He was in my original draft. Not everyone who reads Marathon Pundit know who he is, I didn't feel like explaining it. My point is the heavies are behing Tammy, and hate to say it, Rahm's a medium.

Anonymous,  12:58 AM  

Don't damn yourself with faint praise John. You're better than that.

Bill Baar 8:15 AM  

It was for me John, because I'm concerned about stuff like this

Rahm is medium. Obama and Durbin are our State's heavy. Not as heavy as yesterday though with this Duckworth squeaker. The Netrooters did well for Cegelis.

Skeeter 8:23 AM  

Rahm's a "medium"?

Tell that to Paul Simon, Mayor Daley, President Clinton, and the soon to be elected Dem. House Majority.

He's the heaviest of the heavy. The man wins elections.

Give credit where credit is due. Rahm's one of the best around, and has been for about 20 years.

Skeeter 8:26 AM  

Thanks for posting the link to Roskam's web site. I liked the section "What you may not know about Roskam."

I hope it includes things like: "Close friend of disgraced exterminator Tom DeLay" and "Thinks everyone has the right to assault weapons and cop killer bullets."

C6 will sure know those things by November.

Marathon Pundit 11:50 PM  

Hey Skeeter--Roskam worked for DeLay when he was in his 20s.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP