Friday, February 10, 2006

Duh! It's about freedom of speech!

Cross-posted on From Where I Blog.

I've followed closely the violence sparked by the published caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad. Most major newspapers, and all those locally, have opted not to publish the cartoons.

In fact, if it was not for the Internet most people would not know what all the uproar is about.Some will argue that the reason the cartoons were not published is because of a desire not to offend those of the Muslim faith.

However, I believe it is closer to the truth that the decision not to publish the cartoons is nothing more than fear and caving in to the demands of terrorists.

Terrorists?

Yes ... I said terrorists.

The roving bands of fanatical thugs that are burning down embassies, killing innocent people, rampaging, pillaging and making demands are, plain and simple terrorists, period.

Civilized human being do not act that way, so in my mind editors who choose not to run the cartoons or even address the issues are giving in to the demand of terrorists.

And most of us with at least half a brain know that you cannot negotiate with terrorists.

Read this post on Neil Boortz's blog and look at this picture and then try and convince me that we are not dealing with terrorists.

Kudos to Acton Gorton, the editor of the Daily Illini, the student newspaper at the University of Illinois in Champaign, for possessing the common sense and courage to go against the grain and print the cartoons.

Along with the cartoons he eloquently stated why he was tackling the issue and invited debate on the subject.

After all ... isn't open debate what free speech is all about?

I'm offended by a picture of Jesus submerged in a jar of urine, a statue of the Virgin Mary smeared with cow dung and the Rev. Fred Phelps (not necessarily in that order) but I understand that individuals have a right to free speech and free expression. If you want to see something really offensive, watch "South Park" sometime.

The same freedoms enjoyed by Phelps, the maker of 'Piss Christ" and cow dung smearer is the same freedom that allows me to say that roving bands of Muslim fanatics are terrorists, some so-called artists are lunatics and Fred Phelps is about 75-cents short of getting all his change back.

It can't be both ways.

If everybody caves in and says that certain freedoms are excluded then how long before somebody says that sites like this are offensive or that the editorial page of a newspaper is offensive and should be banned.

Acton Gorton gets it ... where many seasoned and veteran journalists don't.

Freedom of speech and expression has to work across the board or it can't work at all. In short, he should be commended for his courage.

I've linked up with several sites and added several reading assignments. If you enjoy the freedom of speech that we practice here daily then take the time to read about this issue and then let me know what you think. And trust me, I'm very thick-skinned so I promise I will not burn down your house if you disagree or if you decide to draw a caricature of me wearing a turban.

Here's the link to the Daily Illini.

Here's the now infamous cartoons.

Here's a page of responses good and bad about the decision to run the cartoons.

Here's the link from the Chicago Tribune.

The biggest protests yet held Friday. Look here.

And as always ... Michelle Malkin is all over the story.

The decision and debate about publishing the cartoons is reviewed at The New Frontier. Go here.

Keep this in mind as you ponder this issue:

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Francois Voltaire

Do you suppose Voltaire meant to exclude cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad from that statement and simply forgot?

Wade in ladies and gentlemen ... and let me know what you think?

1 comments:

Anonymous,  8:26 AM  

"yawn" sorry, I felt bad no one had commented on your post...but then I got bored reading it.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP